INDEPENDENT Rs | The Boot Room : Portsmouth: Today...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:54 pm Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:10 pmPosts: 10874Location: W12 now South Harrow
Joe Lumley put over a dangerous dipping shot in the 1st half.

Fairly even 1st half but thought after the break we let them dominate, closing us down, pretty much up to when we equalised.

Bit of a flare up with every player running towards the incident. Think ref booked a couple of players, could have been reds as it looked like a few punches were thrown? Bright didn't really get going, Oteh did ok but got little service.

Plenty of old school banter, including to those home fans to our right: "Primark's Too Good for You'. Plan B for the replay.

'Good Companion' looked rammed as we went past on the coach. 2881 R's fans plus a few in the home areas.

Travelling on the coaches were 2 fans from Florida & 4 from Holland..

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:21 pm Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:10 pmPosts: 10874Location: W12 now South Harrow
Part of what Pompey fan Steve Bone had to say......'Some people will have you believe the FA Cup is on its last legs. Some have been trying to convince others of this for a good few years. Some want it scrapped and a new competition devised to replace it.

They're all wrong and misguided, of course. I've thought all along they were wrong. I thought before Pompey took on QPR (for the first time in the competition, by the way, despite having had 223 campaigns between them). And after an afternoon in the Fratton wind and rain, I'm more convinced than ever I was and am right. And maybe if some who thought the end was nigh for the Cup were there to soak it up, they will also now think otherwise.

It's certainly true that some big clubs don't take the FA Cup as seriously as they should. And when those few misguided club owners tell managers to play weakened teams and not worry about losing, of course plenty of their fans will vote with their feet.

But it is as true now as it has been for many years that if you pair up two clubs who do see the FA Cup as a proper competition, one they want to do well in, their fans will treat it in the same way, and you have a fair chance of 90 decent watchable minutes of football. It's simple really.

Today's Fratton Park FA Cup fare was fantastic, I thought. A packed stadium, more than a hint of tension before the game between the two sets of fans (it's a long time since I walked round past the south-east corner of the ground and along the back of the Milton End half thinking that things could kick off), a nice bit of traditional English FA Cup weather, two good, pacy teams who wanted to win, and no-one being too sure who was going to go through.'

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:34 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the two interesting posts, Steve.
The highlights were so short on BBC just now that I almost blinked and missed them!!

Offline Profile